genevieve 101
genevieve.

Just Alerting You

Hi.


4g1
Alvin Yue
Anthony Kwa
Benedict
Brandon Foo
Cabrina
Charlie
Cheryl Chen
Chong Weiling
Cynthia Thane
Derek
Eileen Foo
Fiona Tam
Fong Wai
Eunice Tan
Iylia
Jeremy Goh
Joane Ling
Joanne Quek
John Tan
Jonathan Chen
Joyce Tan
Judith Lee
Linghong
Lester Hio
Marcus Sia
Melina Dong
Melodie Mark
Michelle Gwee
Monica Lee
Ms Sharon Goh
Nalina
Olivia
Pearlyn Neo
Petch
Rei
Ricky
Ruying
Szewee
Weijie
Winnie Soh
Winston Khiu
Yijun
Yiqi
Yiwei

Dog Hates Me
Exploding Dog
Foxtrot
Go Fug Yourself
Karen Cheng
Questionable Content
SAJC OCIP
SAGE
xkcd
yourworldoftext

Layout: vehemency
Icon: reruntherace


September 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 November 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 April 2011


Thursday, 14 August 2008, 21:43
Singapore Idols and Singapore Idles

(Wow, I just made a pun!)

My father never fails to talk about this whenever he sees the advertisement for the competition. He does make sense. I mean, those people are idle enough to stand under the sweltering Singapore heat to queue up and audition for the competition. But who exactly are our Singapore Idols? The singers that manage to knock other contestants off the stage? The athletes that give their sweat and blood out for that performance in their Olympic showing? The student that juggled with so many Co-Curricular Activities (CCA) with their homework and being a friend and child, excelling in each activity?

I do think everyone of them is an idol, yes I do. But perhaps the one that I idolise most now is the student. As a fellow student, things seem to get so out of hand sometimes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that everyone wants students to be all-rounders, meaning that students would excel in all areas, be it work, play, or even as a person. I do feel that it is impossible. For those who manage to do it, they truly are my Singapore Idol.

As the president of my CCA and the committee head of an OCIP team, things get really tricky sometimes. Today, for example, I am struggling to confirm details of an event that was scheduled to happen tomorrow and I am struggling to ensure items needed for tomorrow's camp are bought and settled. I am also struggling to fine a time for all of my group members in GP to meet so that we can finally start on our presentation. Besides that, I am trying to find time for my friends so that I can be a friend. I am trying to find time for my family so that I can be a daughter. I am trying to find time for myself so I can be me (these are what I term my "Me Time"). Apart from these non-academic things, there are endless amounts of homework that have been piling up since term started. There is a Chemistry quiz (termed quiz, but it's actually a mini test) tomorrow. There are about six tests - at least two MSAs - next week. How do those idols do it, time and again?

Deadlines, deadlines, and more deadlines. They really drive one nuts sometimes. Fueled by technology, deadlines become even more unbearable. During my shower, my phone rang twice, signalling me that I have two messages waiting for me. One would really feel like he's forced into a corner sometimes.

(Side track a little bit: I read an article about humans and noises by Andy Ho for The Straits Times, 14 August 2008. We are almost unable to live with noise. The author illustrated this using the National Day long weekend as an example. Friday, we had noise of celebration running all through the night as the Beijing Olympics was officially opened. Saturday, noises of celebrations rang through our skies as we celebrated our nation's birth. Sunday, 'silent' prayers were made against a backdrop of music, coughs, sniffles and ringing handphones. We can't live without noise. Noise simply reminds us that we are but a piece of self aware manure.)

As a result of deadlines, things are only done if there are deadlines and consequences. Friendship? Family? They can all wait. The deadline's far from near. After all, friends and (especially) family are supposed to understand each other, aren't they?

Furthermore, what is an all rounded education? From what I have observed, committee members don't have excellent results. CCA records don't exectly help you much when you are applying for a place in schools. What are all those sweat and blood for, exactly?

Singapore Idols, my Singapore Idols. How did you all do it?


Footnotes:
Duck once said something about Me Time. It was during PAE when our timetables didn't include ME and we (Yanyue and I) were curious about what it was. We were amused when we saw ME and asked duck about it. She joked that it was Me Time - a time whereby people'd sit in their own corners and connect with themselves.

genevieve ♥ 0 comments